Tuesday, December 02, 2008

emotional IQ

Something that I'm proud of as a mother is that I've been encouraging Jonah in his natural sensitivity to emotions and that I've been raising him to show and talk about emotions openly. He is very loving and affectionate and able to describe and debrief on how or others are feeling -- quite an accomplishment at his young age, I think, though I don't have much comparison with other kids his age right now.

Jonah is very loving and affectionate with family members and he expresses himself clearly concerning matters of the heart.

Today I became frustrated with how often he changed his mind about which way he wanted to take home from school. When I raised my voice, he quickly tried to calm me: "Mom, don't act all crazy. Let me hug you and kiss you to make you feel better." Talk about diffusing tension instantly!

On a slightly different topic, I've read that at this age, pre-schoolers start experimenting with white lies. Today I witnessed just that. I was asking Jonah about his friends at school. He said he mostly likes to play alone (common for three-year-olds). But then, out of the blue he said: "I sometimes throw dirt behind boys' shirts." He looked at me for a reaction. When he saw my disapproving face, he changed his tune: "I was just making a joke." I then tried to engage him in talking about it, but he insisted it was really "nothing." Tricky, tricky guy.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

Jonah long ago started perfecting his persuasive skills. It was shortly after his Dad (Tim) left for college and he was home for a long weekend and he decided his folks need to upgrade their stereo. That only left Tim to take over our old system. We never out grow being tricky to get what we want - I still use the back door a lot.

His magazine, I can remember a good year ago when Jonah was here in Montana, he asked his Dad if you could take his magazine on the airplane - it also was a toy catalog