Tuesday, June 27, 2006

great-grandma and teacher stuff

We are impatiently awaiting the arrival of my grandma, Jonah's great-grandma, from Prague. She arrives tomorrow and will be staying with us for three weeks. I haven't seen her in nearly two years and that breaks my heart since we are so close and such good friends. I wish we didn't live so far apart.

In other news, last week I was told that my coworker and I will most likely get laid off since the organization that funds us is taking its sweet time to make the formal decision to renew our program for two more years. So, come August, I will most likely be jobless and come October, I might be hired back. But I emphasize might. So, I've been on the lookout for other jobs, applying for all kinds of teaching gigs, including ones in virtual classrooms. Strange, huh? The things that go on on the internet these days are mind-boggling.

My Czech class at the community college starts in two days! I have eighteen students signed up. Daring, daring people. I will take this new course as an opportunity to reinvent myself. This time as the toughest teacher my students have had. Should I wear my World War II German army suit or the lion tamer outfit? I know. I will start the class by giving the students the evil stare. I will survey the class for a long while until it's so quiet one can hear a pin drop, and then I will quickly raise my fist and hit the desk with a loud bang to establish who's boss. No one will mess with Tereza the Terrible, or else. All of us have had teachers. But do we ever hear what teachers fantasize about? Well, I just let you in on my teacher fantasy. But I digress. Come Thursday, despite my sizable muscles, strong voice, and a will of steel, I will be as sweet as a lamb to those innocent students... until one tells me his dog ate his homework... Ha ha!

1 comment:

bakhazuka said...

tereza,

you can do anything. not to worry a bit about the damn job. opportunity will come to the good ones, always!! i'm happy that you are teaching czech. you'll be great.