Thursday, August 03, 2006

watch out for the czechs

The Czech conversation class that I'm teaching at the community college is so much fun! I wish I could continue teaching it in the fall, but with my new job all my weekday evenings will be booked. Speaking of guarding your valuables (see previous posting), I posted this article recently on the website for the class. Hopefully my students weren't too freaked out by this. Just a gentle reminder to watch one's stuff when traveling.

According to the Czech newspaper Lidove noviny, you're more likely to have your pocket picked in the Czech Republic than anywhere else in the world. This was the finding of a survey carried out by a leading British insurance company Norwich Union. The survey examined theft and personal safety statistics in various holiday destinations around the globe.

But don't worry. The Czech Republic has a low crime ratio, so the worse that can happen to you is theft. Which means, take the following precautions: put documents in a safe at your hotel. When out and about, guard, if not hide your valuables, including jewlery and cameras out of sight. And of course, watch your bags and pockets like a hawk.

More in the following July 2006 articles: Prague Daily Monitor or Radio Praha.

No comments: