Friday, June 13, 2008

the storm that he is

Little Mister has some good days and some bad. But by bad I mean BAD: a minimum of three huge tantrums in a single twelve-hour period. Drama at its utmost. His grandparents saw this happen numerous times last weekend and it truly is a wonder.

Just about anything will set Jonah off and he'll lunge into a screaming fit that from afar sounds like the child has been overtaken by Satan. All kids his age go through this. That's what those-in-the-know say, but some days I feel like I have to walk on egg shells. Of course, I want him to know he doesn't run the world, but sometimes I have to pick my battles. Parenting gets harder and harder and Tim and I have already found our styles differing.

This is the age when wild beast (within) battles man, I guess. Let's hope man wins.

To add to the tantrum-filled stage, Jonah has also become quite unpredictable with his insatiable quest for learning what's right and wrong - physically. He will prance around the house happily, telling stories, and all of a sudden 'bonk' one of us in the head or back with a bat or a hammer or a drumstick... I guess it's a stage of testing, but it's hard to relax sometimes when there's no telling what's coming your way when.

But we're doing our best to navigate the stormy seas and to appreciate the good days and moments of absolute joy and tenderness.

Just tonight before going to sleep, Jonah whispered to me: "I love you so much, mom," which just about melted all the stress away.

1 comment:

Michael5000 said...

Woah. That sounds like hard work.