Wednesday, June 25, 2008

workin' it

I've started putting an effort towards finding a teaching job in Prague. Last week I emailed my resume and cover letter to three language schools there. Within a couple of days I heard back from two. One wanted to set up an interview using Skype (basically a free internet phone service with a video option). So, this morning I had to get up at 6:30.

Tim woke up Jonah too, quickly changed him out of his pajamas and whisked him over to his new favorite breakfast joint. I showered, dressed up in business attire, did my make up, and got ready for my video appearance.

As it turned out, the school did not have a way of seeing my image, so we just used the audio part as if talking on the telephone. Darn, I could've stayed in my sweats! I was nervous about the interview (and I teach these skills!). The reason is that this was my first job interview ever in Czech.

I think I did OK, though the two grammar-related questions they gave me to test my knowledge really had me sweating. I could explain the difference in meaning between sentences in several tenses, but I didn't know all the terminology for those tenses (first, second and third conditional - anyone?). The school didn't seem to mind. All they cared about was how well I can describe the different meanings.

After my interview, I called a friend, a fellow English teacher I met in teacher college. We talked about the phenomenon that in this country it's possible to go through seventeen plus years of school and never learn grammar terminology or too much about the grammar of this country's primary language, for that matter. I don't think Europeans quite grasp that. Language instruction is predominantly grammar-centered there.

Soon I will hear back from the school to find out whether they have decided to offer me the job which consists of teaching English to employees at a variety of businesses, generally large Western corporations such as banks and chain stores. The school has a good reputation and is located within walking distance from the pre-school where we signed Jonah up. I could easily then pick Jonah up from school on my way home from the school.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

2 comments:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

I got my fingers crosses, but I don't think you will need it. MaryAnn

Michael5000 said...

Fingers crossed!