Monday, October 20, 2008

when the caca hits the fan

What is your plan, where do you want to be if... or dare I say... when the world, or more specifically the U.S., goes to shits? If the financial crisis hits as hard as the Great Depression -- and it already has in many parts of the country -- what is your plan?

I think about these things. My grandparents had lived through the war, bombings, near starvation, concentration camps. My parents lived through a totalitarian regime, which I also remember all too well. I have lived through waves of poverty myself when food stamps were assurance that there would be food on the table.

Already three years ago, I was telling people that I think a financial crisis of gigantic proportions was going to erupt, but back then to most I sounded like a bit of a nut.

My husband and I don't own a house or property, which could be both a plus (no mortgage problems or need to be tied down to a location post the housing bubble burst) and a minus (no property we can call our own, no place to grow our own food).

With interest, I read an opinion piece entitled Not My Financial Crisis -- I've Got Literally Nothing to Lose. I have a few things in common with the author of the piece. I own nothing (except for a car and some furniture) and I am used to living paycheck to paycheck. If, however, as a result of a sour economy, there is no work to feed me, that would be a whole different story.

I was struck by the author's ability to be so unaffected by the grim reality of the Wall Street meltdown. In fact, his lighthearted attitude made him a bit suspect to me, but perhaps there is a message in his piece: if you are someone who has experienced poverty before, and are someone who is resourceful, you may just be okay. Still, a deep-seated fear hovers just beneath the surface when I ponder the effects the crisis could have on me and my loved ones. I remember being poor, but my most recent stretch of years has been lived in relative comfort. To lose that scares me.

The most uplifting part of the article was the author's idea, when there is no work to be found in the city, of going to an organic farm and working for room and board. With almost no real-world skills such as sewing, cooking, or repairing things, helping on a farm, my friends, is something I can see myself doing if push comes to shove. I have weeded and planted before and I can do it again. I love being in nature, cultivating things that grow from the ground, taking care of animals.

If I trusted humans more, I would say that perhaps the financial collapse could lead to more alternative and healthier ways of living; less of a dependence on the stock market, multinational companies, and international trade built on abuse of workers and the environment. I would like to see people find different ways of taking care of themselves: barter, cooperate and pool resources, consume less, transform their communities into environmentally friendly and sustainable local economies...

Enclaves around the world are already doing this. Many more would like to live in this way.

I, and many of my friends, are drawn to the ideas of creating a more sustainable and community-oriented model within the larger society, but many of us resist the idea as well, because we have been raised in such an individualistic culture, where the very idea of success is tied into each person making it on his own; where competition and the attitude of looking out for number one is the emphasis. We are afraid of having to compromise too much, of losing ourselves too much in a cloud of people, because we've been taught that to find ourselves and to be ourselves, we must travel alone (and later in life inside our nuclear family bubble made up of a spouse, two kids, and a dog).

So back to my original question: how do you think the financial crisis will affect you (or is already affecting you)? What do you foresee the/your future to be like in the light of this economic meltdown? What is your vision for change?

5 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Except for where there are lots of people working in Finance, especially New York City, I expect this will be more of an economic slowdown than an economic meltdown. Our business (residential remodeling, that is) has been a little slow, but that is often the case during moments of uncertainty; we expect it will pick up again after the election, or earlier.

If I designed the way the world worked myself, I wouldn't have come up with the stock market; but, living in the world we've got, I roll with it and throw money into mutual funds. For someone of my age, the stock market crash is likely to turn out to be a bonanza -- it's an opportunity to buy in cheap and rise with the recovery. On the off chance there's no recovery, well, we'll have other things to worry about.

I like to think, though, that you might be right, that a slowdown could make people a little wiser and a little more drawn toward the sustainable. I don't like busts, but I don't like booms, either; they tend to sprawl the worst we have to offer all over the landscape.

My vision for change is the 30-hour week. But I haven't managed to drum up much of a following for it yet...

Tereza said...

Michael, I have to disagree with you that this financial crisis will only primarily affect Wall Street bankers and will turn out to only be a temporary slow-down. Millions of home owners and renters have and continue to be evicted from their homes due to foreclosures. Unemployment rates are rising, as is inflation. Unprecedented numbers of economists and political analysts (such as Chomsky), agree that this crisis will spread all across every sector in the U.S. and be long-lasting.

But speaking of a 30-hour work week, here is an article you may enjoy reading. It discusses the necessity of Americans to "take back their time."

If the recession continues to deepen, as is my theory, many more will lose their jobs. I suppose that is one -- albeit cynical -- way we can get our time back.

erin m. said...

Hi Tereza,
I, like you think about this all the time now. Especially with all the personal changes going on for me: Do I get rid of the house and the financial obligation - get a cheap apartment and stuff all the extra cash in my matress? Or do I stay in the house where I can collect rain, grow food, raise chickens... Right now I'm thinking of splitting the difference - see if I can keep the house, rent it to my step-sons, so that I can continue to develop my suvival support systems, while renting something cheap so that I can stow some cash... keep your fingers crossed.

Because you are keen on doing your research - please read Ravi Batra at www.ravibatra.com an amazingly brilliant economist who wrote 2 years ago about the lies of Greenspan and the financial house of cards he was helping create, also Nassim Taleb at http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/
He won't make you sleep any better - in fact I just heard him interviewed with Benoit Mendelbrot says he isn't sleeping AT ALL these days...

Ultimately tho - I think people who have tangible skills, and are willing to work with their hands - who haven't totally wrapped themselves in a cocoon of delusion that their banked money is safe and that they can buy there way out of any crisis will fare better than the rest no matter what happens.

I actually heard myself telling my mother all the reasons I still live in Portland: gravity fed city water system, ability to grow food 12 months a year, rivers and mountains near by with ready food... yikes. But hey - why NOT be ready for anything?

T - for all the doomsday talk - you are missing some exciting times here - Obama's effect on people - especially those who hear him speak live - is infectious! The whiff of possibility that his presidency presents is more than enough to keep me going :)

E

Michael5000 said...

Well, we'll see. It doesn't FEEL like it's deepening.... so far... and all of those stats they throw around about foreclosures usually include any kind of mortgage default, so that's much less of a crisis than it is made out to be, outside of maybe Florida, Nevada, Cali, and Detroit. Unemployment and inflation ain't much compared to the early 80s, but yeah. We'll see.

And Erin M. is totally right about Obama -- he's really captured peoples' imagination, unlike anything I remember in my lifetime. It's fun to have people so engaged. That, too, will be interesting to see more about.

Tereza said...

Wow, Erin. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking through the possibilities... I want you to know that you are on the top of my list of the people I want in my commune!!!!!