Monday, February 02, 2009

Berlin with babi

This year for Christmas I got my babi, or grandma, a concert ticket to see her favorite pianist, Murray Perahia. He was on tour and the closest place he was performing was Berlin. So to the ticket I added two nights in a hotel in Berlin.

We took the train there last week. It was a trip to remember. I wasn't that excited about Berlin, but realized as soon as we got there, that it's undoubtedly an interesting and vibrant place to visit.

The highlights: impressive modern architecture using lots and lots of glass in pleasing ways; historical places like the remnants of the Berlin wall, the bits of old architecture that withstood the bombings during the war, and the most stirring: the Holocaust memorial. We actually got to Berlin on International Holocaust Commemoration Day.

The pianist was fabulous. A huge, arena-like concert hall sold-out and bursting in the seams. Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Beetoven. My grandmother was beside herself. She is quite the music critic too. I am not well-versed in classical music, but I was impressed as well.

Here are some pics from our trip. More here.





And a video of the Holocaust memorial experience:

2 comments:

Michael5000 said...

What an awesome grandaughter you are!

MaryAnn Bottman said...

Oh, what fun, but I am sure just doing something with you was the best part for your Grandmother.
Boy has Check Point Charlie changed since the 60's. We toured East and West Berlin with my grandparents while John was stationed in Germany.