Tuesday, August 07, 2007

back from the co-op

Jonah and I just came back from our first visit to the co-op school. Jonah had a great time playing with toddler-sized, foot-powered cars plus a gas pump; glitter and glue; fire engines; plastic fish in water; a mini cash register with a drawer that opened and closed; and finally outside in the sand box. He enjoyed snack time and learned one of the kid's names - the one who threw the most tantrums, of course.

I was most impressed at potty/diapering time when Jonah peed in a "foreign" potty. He was quite independent while there, but had to make sure he saw me out of the corner of his eye at all times. If he didn't, he went looking for me.

On an average day, there are about nine children there, most around Jonah's age (two-years-old). Three parents are on duty every day. The day begins between 9:00 and 9:30 and ends at 1 pm. Children go three days a week with their parent on duty once a week.

I must say I was more overwhelmed than Jonah by some of the crying and screaming that took place. Mostly it was when parents dropped off their kids and left. But it's quite a ruckus when, for example, there are three kids crying at the same time. The other parents are nice, a couple of them seemed sort of artsy (filmmaker and artist?).

Most parents visit two to three times before they sign up to join the co-op, so I plan to do just that. Will report back again.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

You mentioned Jonah watching for you out the corner of his eye. I still can remember some of the first programs the kids had at pre-school, they would look for Dad and me in the crowd and when we were spotted they would give us a little wave. A course we would wave back and then all was well.