Friday, September 02, 2005

I won't lie

I won't lie. Being a new mother is not easy. The whole day revolves around breastfeeding (which has been painful lately), burping baby, consoling and rocking him when he cries while digesting, changing diapers and clothes. He goes through so many clothes a day! I swear at least six or seven outfits a day.

So between all those activities and feeding myself and resting whenever possible (which is usually just at night for about three hour-and-half to two-hour chunks) there is no time for anything else. Except a walk. I make sure I get a walk in every day.

Yesterday I took Jonah to one of the nearby parks and ran into Tim and his brother Andy there. They were exericising, getting ready to jog. So I took a picture.

And Tim took a picture of us.



Other than taking care of baby, I managed to make dinner the last two days too! Wow. Occasionally I do the dishes. But our place is pretty much a mess. The first two weeks we had several friends and relatives bring us cooked meals and buy us groceries. That was such great help!

The first two weeks I was running on endorphines, but now I feel pretty tired. It's hard to have someone depend on you for everything. The hardest is when he cries. I blame myself - I haven't been holding him enough. Or it must be something I ate that's making him miserable. (In fact, I've been trying to virtually eliminate dairy products lately because I think Jonah may be lactose intolerant. We'll see.) I feel guilty sometimes for wanting a break from him just to recuperate or think about other things. It's nice when Tim is home. He loves to spend time with Jonah and I get a little bit of time to do other things - like take a shower or check my e-mail...

It's not that I'm not enjoying this. I chose motherhood and am very happy. It's just a little hard right now. People say it will get easier in a few weeks. I hope they're right.

1 comment:

Karin said...

You're a great mother and you're doing everything right!