Friday, September 16, 2005

Jonah's doctor

Well, today Jonah had his first real doctor's appointment. We have been going to the birth center still to have the midwives examine him (and me), but next week is our last appointment there and I wanted to get Jonah signed up with a doctor so he can get his shots and what not. I chose a family doctor, as opposed to a pediatrician, because I like the idea of a doctor knowing and treating the whole family. I will be signing up with her soon myself. She was recommended to me by friend and sure enough, Tim and I liked her quite a bit. She is very friendly and seems to have a philosophy that matches ours - don't prescribe medication unless absolutely necessary, support breastfeeding, etc. I've posted her picture and her bio for your interest.

The appointment was brief, since it was just a new patient appointment, but we found out Jonah has gained more than a pound in the last week!! And he grew an inch. He now weighs 9 lbs 15 oz and measures 22'". Wow! Dr. Lang said he is in the 50th percentile for his age, Tim thought she said 58%, so somewhere around there. He sure is growing fast!

When we left there, Tim and I both commented on how brief the appointment was. Tim joked that I should have asked the doctor to rub my feet or shoulders for the remaining ten minutes since that's what the midwives do if we have time left over. It's funny. At the birth center they offer us tea or juice, we chat about how things are going and about life in general, they check the baby and me, and, like I mentioned, if there is time, they rub my shoulders or feet. When leaving, we are often recommended and lent a book from the center's lending library. No time for massages with a conventional doctor. I think the midwives have spoiled me rotten.

Here is Dr. Lang's bio. I found it on a Providence website:

Barbara Lang, M.D.
Board Certified: Family Practice

Dr. Lang finds the personal relationships she is able to establish with patients and their families the most rewarding aspect of her medical practice. I find great joy in helping my patients achieve a healthy and satisfying lifestyle, she says. I chose to become a primary care provider because I like working with families throughout the continuum of care: from birth to end of life.

Board certified in family practice, Dr. Lang earned her medical degree from Oregon Health & Science University, and completed her internship and residency at Family Medicine of Southwest Washington in Vancouver.

Dr. Lang was born in Longview, Wash. Away from her practice, she enjoys travel, running and playing soccer.

No comments: