Thursday, March 01, 2007

the great imitiator

Jonah has started to repeat words and phrases he hears us say. The other day I said to a driver whose driving I was not impressed with, "Are you kidding?" through a windshield. Jonah said, "kidding?" It made my day.

Today he repeated a long phrase after me: "airplane in the sky."

This week he began to imitate some sounds he hears. When assembling and disassembling the potty, which he refuses to use, he made a peeing sound: "chhhhhh" and looked at me, following up with the words "pee pee" and "kaka". So he definitely gets what the potty is for, he just won't sit on it.

He also imitated the chirping, or more like screaming of birds outside, saying "pih-pih" (short for pipinka, or bird in Czech) and the barking of a dog in a house down the street, then saying "pey" (short for pejsek, or dog). Very cool.

He still occasionally pretends to talk on the phone in a very loud, theatrical, whiny voice. I wonder who he gets that from. And he feeds animals, pictures of babies (as well as real babies) and objects pretend food and water. Children are amazing.

No comments: