Wednesday, March 28, 2007

New York trip


Jonah and I had a wonderful time visiting my sister and her partner Adam in New York. This was our first inter-state trip alone, without dad. Jonah did great on both flights - he even slept! - which were both 100% full! Since Jonah was a lap child, I didn't get much sleep myself. But the flights were non-stop and only about 6 hours long.

As soon as we walked in to my sister's place, Jonah felt right at home. It was amazing how comfortable he felt with my sister. He called her "baba", the same as my mom, and was totally trusting and affectionate with her from the get-go. My sister even babysat Jonah for a few hours one afternoon and Jonah barely missed his parents. How great is that!

One of Jonah's favorite things to do in New York was play uncle Adam's drums and piano. Pics here. The other hit was Prospect Park, a huge and pretty park only two blocks from my sister's house.

What surprised me was how quiet her Brooklyn neighborhood was. Hardly any cars passed by. Most of the surrounding houses were one or two-family houses, no bigger than two-stories. My sister still does her shopping the old-fashioned way - in little stores. A deli, a fish market, the butchers..., because that's the way the neighborhood, which not long ago used to be predominantly Italian and is still full of old-timers, works.

We saw some friends with kids, which was also very fun. Jonah played with a 3-month old, a four-year-old, and my cousins, who are teenagers.

I got to meet Carmen, who, as per my earlier post, asked me to write for antiracistparent.com. She lives in New York and is great!

Well, that's it for this installment of Adventures with Jonah. More soon.

No comments: