Saturday, October 20, 2007

full day

This was a full day for Jonah and me. In the morning, he got to "drive" a digger, fire engine, and ambulance as part of the Children's Museum's Truck Petting ZOO event. (I forgot to bring the camera, of course. But that's okay since taking pictures of your child during occasions like these feels a bit forced and cheesy.) You can guess what Jonah's favorite vehicle was. A digger, of course.

To avoid the rain which has been coming down in feet per hour, I swear, we went inside the Children's Museum and met up with a new/old friend Cari and her family. Her son is ten months younger than Jonah. I think we will see each other frequently since they just moved to town from New York and Cari is a stay-at-home mom by day and writer by night. We went to college together, but until this month, hadn't seen each other in twelve years! It's really great to connect again after all these years. I am excited to have a new friend with a toddler in town.

Just so you know, as an aside, here is what I think of the Children's Museum. First of all, it should not be called a museum. It's basically a big playhouse for preschool-aged kids. Hardly anything art-related or educational about it. Also, it's a germ trap with hundreds of little slobbery hands touching everything in sight. I'm no germophobe, though I know I'll have a hard time convincing you of that from now on, but runny noses and slippery fingers that have been god-knows-where have me cringing and washing my hands as well as Jonah's hands obsessively. Last year, Jonah had about eight colds. Pretty much one each rainy season month. This season, he is on his second cold. But I digress.

Back to my new/old friend Cari who, as if she hasn't had enough of us lately, invited us over for dinner this evening. I had such a great time eating and chatting with friends. I don't get to spend time with groups of adults very often. My life these days consists mostly of family time, work or one-on-one friend time, so this was a special treat. Jonah felt comfortable at Cari's house as well, playing with his new friend's toys and riding his tricycle all over the place. Poor Tim had to stay home with a bad cold. The funniest thing was when Cari told a story she remembered about me from our college days. I had no recollection of half of what she described, but it was slightly embarrassing to hear about my wild days that are all a blur now. I wonder what else she remembers about me that I would rather forget about now ;) I wish I could remember something naughty about her, but my memory is so poor that I really truly have nothing on file on her. Sigh.

Another highlight of the day was the new sofa that was delivered this morning. Ahh, smooth chocolaty leather! It's great! We love it! But it did get scratched on the way here. So it looks like we will have to have it replaced. Darn. We fell in love with it and now we'll have to part with it again. Who knows how long this replacement process will take. The old sofa I promised I would write about is now advertised on the web as a free giveaway. A few calls have come in, so it will hopefully be out of our hair shortly. It has served us well. I will commemorate it here soon.

2 comments:

Cari said...

Oh no! I didn't mean to embarrass you! I just have such fond memories from back then... especially the time in Oaxaca.

It was so wonderful to have you guys here last night. Thank you again for coming. I'm loving get to know you again, now as adults and mothers.

Tereza said...

Cari, I had a great time yesterday! And don't worry. Your stories didn't embarrass me much. I think what was more embarrassing than that was to realize how bad my memory is since I hardly remember the things you recalled from our wild college days :)