Wednesday, October 10, 2007

nesting

Some may call this the nesting instinct, but whatever it is, Tim and I have been reorganizing our house and ... drum roll, please... splurging on new furniture. Using a gift certificate from Tim's parents for the new Ikea store that opened in our area, we bought new bookshelves. One for each member of the family. Jonah loves his and Tim and I are just putting together and organizing ours. Ours are made of real wood - quite special these days - and painted a bright cheerful red. We decided to add on glass doors to keep the kids from messing with our books and to keep the dust out. So far, I love my new bookshelves and I have been relishing my time ordering and re-organizing my books.

We also ordered a new sofa. I'm really anti-dust these days. I think my sensitivity to dust has been elevated due to my pregnancy. So, we decided to get a leather sofa. Easy to clean and not a dust trap! When it arrives, we will have a party to give it a test run.

Buying new stuff is a big deal for both Tim and me. We are generally thrifty and uncomfortable with spending too much money on any one item. The new sofa we are getting is the most expensive single item we have ever bought for ourselves other than our *used* car. It feels daring and a bit scary, but exciting too.

Sometimes it's good to treat yourself, I guess, especially considering that our last sofa cost us five dollars. How we acquired it is actually a pretty sweet story that I will share next time I blog.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

Nesting is good!! I am looking forward to the sweet story about the five dollar sofa.