Saturday, January 21, 2006

enter the landlord

Our landlord, who is a cross between an automaton and a nerd, made his appearance to put new caulking around our leaky toilet yesterday. He is an awkward man of undeterminable age who blinks often and speaks with an insider smirk and a jolly tone of voice. His eyebrows tend to always be up, and his eyes behind glasses, though wide open, have a faraway look. He laughs at odd times and pauses for a while between listening and reacting to what is said, which makes him seem a bit calculating. But have you ever met a landlord that wasn't calculating?

Our landlord always wears the same cheerful hat with ear flaps most likely made of bright-colored Peruvian wool. It's his trademark look. Also, he usually wears sweats or eightees-style light-colored jeans.

He was quiet in the bathroom, going about his business. Jonah and I were quiet in the living room, going about ours. When the work was done he informed me that he had just put soft caulk around the toilet and that no, it wasn't hard caulk. Yes, my robot landlord, the same distant yet jolly look in his face, said "hard caulk," emphasizing "caulk" with a gusto.

2 comments:

Ezra Basom said...

He sounds like a landlord I used to have. My landlord would come over unannounced and walk into my backyard to work on the yard or house, then started yelling at me when I told him he needed to call first.

Tereza said...

It would be fun to compile ridiculous landlord stories into a book, don't you think?