Friday, January 06, 2006

those crazy Czechs

So, the other day I took Jonah for a walk. We decided to walk around a very pretty campus of a nearby college. I had been to the campus several times before, but this was the first time that I had noticed signs around the periphery, prohibiting those not associated with the college from entering the grounds. Man, that's really too bad, I thought. I hate the feeling that I'm breaking rules. I decided to disregard the signs. A student security guard walked past me to check Jonah and me out. I tossed a cheerful hello his way. He didn't check my ID, ask for a secret code or strip-search me, so I kept walking. I could probably easily pass for a college student. But Jonah? He has a few years to go.

On the sports field, I noticed a sign prohibiting dogs from using the field as a bathroom. Too bad dogs can't read, I thought. Maybe they should have a reading class for dogs at the college. And what do you know, I see a woman walking her doggie. The little devil is happily pissing on every tree it sees. It seemed obvious that neither she nor her dog were associated with the college. I felt encouraged. No tresspassing. Private property. Who cares? When she got closer, I recognized her. She was my mom's friend that I recently met. A cool lady - an artist and also a Czech. We chatted. Knowing this, would you ever trust a Czech to obey rules? I know I wouldn't.

No comments: