Wednesday, January 25, 2006

strange goose by the name of Richard III

Yesterday was a beautiful day after an extra long stretch of rain. Finally some sunshine! I took Jonah on a walk to the Rhododendron Garden again, where it looks like just about everything will be blooming soon. The geese were circling the lake in magnificent formations, landing on the water and taking off again and again.

We brought along some dry bread. One goose that had a hurt wing was so forthright that it would walk right up, demanding its share, almost touching my legs with its beak. It reminded me of Al Pacino's Richard III in the film Looking for Richard. From now on that's what I will call this peculiar goose who has no fear of humans or strollers. I was more afraid of it than it was of me, let's put it that way. Jonah wasn't impressed. But once he can run, he will show Richard what he's made of! So be warned, Richard.

Jonah napped in the stroller while I pushed it along, reading a book as I walked. I didn't have too much trouble doing both simultaneously. I was so engrossed in the book that I just had to keep reading, watching the sidewalk ahead with my peripheral vision. The book is non-fiction (my favorite genre), in a fact a memoir, called Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. I highly recommend it!!!

Here is a picture of Jonah checking out the birds.

No comments: