Saturday, February 04, 2006

two days away

I had the most fabulous time on my trip, accompanying my sister for a part of her West coast tour. So much fun! Our mom came along too while Tim stayed home with Jonah. We got to see my sister perform and stayed in apartments where the musicians playing at the same swanky club stay. I even had a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen and cable TV to myself! It was so relaxing! My mom and sister had the penthouse suite, a large party pad with seventies furniture and decore, a terrace with a view, piano, and fireplace. We hung out there with friends after the show. I had a good time rummaging through the kitchen cabinets in both my apartment and the penthouse where I found some fascinating items. These included a blueberry ice balm mint foot talk treatment in a pouch shaped like a foot, dehydrated chicken called "shake & bake" that springs to life once moistened and shaken in a plastic bag, and a Jehova's Witnesses booklet with a picture of paradise in which a church lady pets a tiger. I took pictures of these strange items for your viewing pleasure.


One of the days we toured Seattle, visiting the spots where we used to live and go to school. My mom and sister hadn't been back in over ten years. One night I took my mom out for dinner and dessert while my sister performed. The next night we met up with friends for dinner before going to see my sister's show. Both meals were delicious. Tim's cousins made it to the dinner and the show too. Everyone that said would come did which was impressive. The show was excellent! My sister sounded great as always. I was also impressed with the bass player. Our high school Russian teacher and principal, who is now retired, came to the show. It was fun to see them.

It was simply a great trip. Jonah too had a good time with his dad and uncle, who was around quite a bit while I was away.

We got back and my sister played a show here too. Tim got to see that one. I met everyone afterwards with the baby who wasn't allowed in the place since they serve alcohol. After the show a few of us went to a cafe where the music grated on the ears and a rude waitress accidentally spilled a glass of water on the bass player. A bad Portland impression to say the least.

When we got home, we realized that both keys for the house were locked inside. Thank goodness my sister had a cellphone. Well past midnight we had to call around for a locksmith. Not an easy thing to do. Most of the phone numbers we got from the directory were either not in service or, for some odd reason, routed to Colorado. I even called the police who said they couldn't really help us, but gave us a working phone number for a locksmith. Finally, after about a dozen calls we found a locksmith who came and helped us break into our own house, as the police defined our predicament. And by 1 am we were home at last. Breakfast at Helser's near Andy and Jenni's house redeemed all the bad Portland mojo. The food and service were outstanding! Thank goodness.

Here is a picture of my sister holding Jonah. A bit blurry, but oh well.

No comments: