Friday, March 31, 2006

playtime


On my days off, I have a new routine with Jonah. Thursdays we go to story time on at the library and on Fridays I hang out with my friend Mia and her son Ira, who is six months younger than Jonah. Today Jonah and Ira interacted more than ever before. See pictures. I finally got to see Ira with his eyes open. He gazed at me for quite some time with his deep brown eyes. What a powerful experience. Jonah liked him too. He touched him on the arm and sholder, held his hand for a while and when he started grabbing at Ira and patting him a little too vigorously, we decided they needed a little break from each other and moms stepped in to separate them. I can't wait till they are both a little older, so they can really appreciate each other. It's been so fun to hang out every week.

Story time has been fun too. Yesterday Jonah actually stayed awake through the whole thing. He watched the other babies, and I swear, tried to imitate them crawling. He got on all fours and I was sure he would start crawling for the first time right there and then. But he didn't. His arm strength is good enough, but it's his legs that don't quite grasp the concept of crawling yet. We will see. He might skip crawling all together. He is mainly interested in standing after all.

The librarian handed out the lyrics to some of the nursery rhymes and songs we sing in story time. Now I know Pat-a-cake and Way Up High in the Apple Tree. I'm learning! Jonah loves anything with clapping and hand motions. So, I'm working on adding more of those numbers to my repertoir.

No comments: