Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Fourth of July

We had a very mellow Fourth of July. No fireworks, no madness. Just my mom, grandma, Jonah, Tim and I in the backyard, drinking cocktails, bbquing, and eating.

I admit I hate Fourth of July. I'm not one for home fireworks productions, which are mostly just good for messing with people's body parts. I'm glad Tim is not a pyromaniac. Thank goodness for that. On New Years Eve and 4th of July, I tend to turn into a cat wanting to hide under a bed. I completely emphathise with my cats on the days when it sounds like the war has started outside, as Tim put it yesterday.

Our neighbors did have a party and our neighborhood had a block party. Neither was too raucous. None of us was in the mood, so we stayed close to home.

Last week I had fought off a cold, but in the process gave my grandmother the germs. So now she is resting in bed with a head cold. I feel bad about that. I hope she feels better by tomorrow.

Jonah's favorite pastime these days is pushing the stroller. Though someone still needs to steady it and make sure it doesn't move forward too fast, Jonah is getting very good at it, taking one hand off to practice balancing or to touch something interesting nearby. While pushing the stroller, he also likes to stop and squat just for the fun of it. Start and stop, stand and squat. A whole half hour can go by with Jonah just happily pushing the stroller and experimenting with his weight.

Jonah has also been enjoying tasting new foods. I am taking full advantage of my mom and grandma being around to encourage me to feed Jonah new things, the "scardie cat" that I am. My fear is that he will either choke on something or have an alergic reaction to something new, but variety is good, and nutrition is too. Jonah's latest favorite is bread. He loves to hold and chew chunks of bread, preferrably whole slices. He has also been enjoying cheese! That's a new one. Tim can't wait to feed Jonah his first grilled cheese sandwich!

No comments: