Thursday, July 27, 2006

last hoorah

Yesterday my friend and I had our goodbye lunch at work. The two of us are getting laid off this month. Officially, my last day is Monday. Our babies and husbands joined us at the restaurant. Tim was funny. After almost everyone had left the restaurant, he said, "I kept waiting for the drinks to be served." I responded that since the bosses were there, people didn't dare order drinks for lunch. Tim countered: "I thought your bosses would be buying drinks for you." I guess that's the difference between working for a corporation and a social service agency. My friend's lunch and mine were paid for, but incidentally when she ordered an iced tea, she was told that she would have to pay for that herself. Everything has its limits, I guess.

Yesterday was also the last day of class for my students. Half of them ended up dropping out during the course of the program because of scheduling and childcare issues mostly, but those that graduated were true troopers. Kudos to them! As is the custom, my students cooked up a storm and brought food from their countries - Japanese potato salad, Vietnamese salad rolls, Philipino noodles, etc. Yum! Tim thanked me for loading him up a plate for later.

We finished off the day with a free concert at the park. My friend's Cuban band was playing. Quite a few friends made it too, and some with babies. So we had lots of fun.

No comments: