Saturday, March 08, 2008

food, friends, and family

I have really enjoyed this kick we've been on lately. We've had people over for food every day for the last few days. Eating and shooting the breeze with friends and family is one of my all-time favorite activities. Every day we've had someone different visiting: brunches, after hours snacks and dessert...

Today was special in that the couple that came have a toddler who is friends with Jonah. One never knows how toddlers will do together on any given day, but today Jonah and his little friend did great. Jonah shared his toys and was polite, both the boys ate well and smiled a lot. There wasn't much screaming. The parents could actually relax and have a conversation.

I tried out my first experiment from the vegan cookbook I bought yesterday: a blueberry coffeecake. Already I had to substitute a couple of ingredients. That can be dangerous. Plus I was making something new knowing we had friends coming over. My tendency to do that can sometimes be bad news. You can imagine. But the apple-blueberry coffee cake turned out delicious. Yay! My first vegan baking adventure.

Lately I have been enjoying cooking. Some meals we've had have been quite nice: roasted winter vegetables (thanks for the tips on how to do this, Cari!) and baked salmon; tofu and vegetable curry over rice; cheese gnocchi with cream broccoli sauce; broccoli and mushroom quiche, roasted potatoes and salad...

I hope my enjoyment of cooking continues. It's good for the family.

2 comments:

Karin said...

It's official. You're making me hungry! :)

Cari said...

Thanks again for having us over. We all had a great time! (And yes, the coffee cake truly was delicious)