Monday, March 17, 2008

healthy lifestyle challenge update

I thought I would let you, my faithful readers, in on how my lifestyle changes were going.

I am proud to report that I am still making sure I get some form of exercise in every day. It's either a fast 20-minute walk around the neighborhood or a 20- to 30-minute Pilates workout. The DVD I got has been kicking my butt. In fact, my underutilized, flabby body is now quite sore and because of that, I decided it would be wise to switch up the type of exercise more often. I got a couple more DVDs today: yoga and qigong. I want to see how I like these. I will let you know what I think in a few days.

In the meantime, I would like to hear from you -perhaps in the comments section- what type of exercise you do and why.

Now, on the diet front I haven't been doing too bad with the challenges I set for myself recently. I have limited my consumption of meat to fish and poultry - each only once a week. I have also cut down significantly on the amount of processed and refined foods as well as on the size of meal portions and snacks. At the same time I have added more whole grains and leafy greens to my diet. So far, I have been enjoying these changes.

The hardest thing to scale down on is coffee. I have a habit of drinking a cup twice a day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Though I love the taste, smell and effect of coffee on my system, I am aware that coffee significantly decreases the body's ability to absorb iron and calcium. And that's not good. So, I would like to cut out at least one of these daily cups. When the weather is sunnier and warmer, I will probably have an easier time doing this.

I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

Cari said...

I was with you until the coffee bit. That's just more than I could do.

Tereza said...

I don't think I can totally cut out coffee (decaf, which I've thought of switching to, is not a good option as it also depletes the body of minerals). I like coffee too much and I don't think it's that horrible for you. But if I go down to one cup a day or only have it occasionally, I think I will be better off.

Holly said...

That is so great that you are sticking to your diet/exercise routine. I just started yoga again after a long time off (years); I just love it. I think it's good for my body and my soul. I also need to start walking again. But I'm with Cari ~ give up coffee? Never! ;-)

Karin said...

Coffee? Yuck! I've never liked it. And you know I'm not a morning person, so don't ask me how I manage. I just don't know.

I thought I would walk around more since I moved, you know, to explore the neighborhood. No go. Not yet anyway. Soon though, I feel it comin'.

I like yoga and Nia (a kind of dance class that combines a lot of different disciplines). Got to start doing something again. Feel as though I'm starting to get old. Exercise reminds me that I'm still young.