Thursday, August 18, 2005

one week old

Jonah is one week old today. I can't believe how fast time is going. It feels like he was born just yesterday.

We're finally succeeding at breastfeeding. No more need for tubes, supplementing or finger feeding. Now that the gadgets and tubes have virtually all been eliminated, breastfeeding is becoming more meditative and calming for us. It's also much faster and not such a huge ordeal. Thanks to Tim's cousin Holly who gave us a special nursing pillow called Brestfriend, I can now nurse comfortably and can even use one of my hands free to hold a book with. Reading poems and stories to baby while he nurses is my favorite pastime.

Now that breastfeeding is easier and quicker without all the fuss around it, I have anywhere between an hour and three hours between breastfeedings. Last night I didn't know what to do with myself. I wasn't used to so much time to rest. But I tried taking advantage of it and actually slept several times during the night!!!!! Even an hour of sleep three times a day feels like eternity after getting at most two in the span of 24 hours for a week straight. I was worried about my body being able to take the stress of almost no sleep for so long, but the body is an amazing thing! I survived and feel great!

I'm noticing that everything is timed these days. The clock is my constant companion. I time sleep and feedings and the time between feedings. So longer stretches of time feel like a luxury.

Now that Jonah is a week old, Tim and I are talking about taking him on his first walk. We will just walk around the neighborhood today with baby sleeping in a sling. I can't wait!

No comments: