Saturday, December 03, 2005

dates or figs?

What's the last time you've gone on a date? Me? Glad you asked. Just last night! With my husband. Tim's brother and his wife came over for dinner and then stayed and watched the baby while Tim and I went out on a date! We had a great time - went out for dessert and a hot beverage, and then to shoot pool. I won only one out of three games, but only because my foe scratched on a break shot. My game left a lot to be desired, but still, no matter how much I suck at it, I love pool.

At my high school, we had a pool table in our English classroom. Students could take pool for P.E. credit, which I did. I was the slowest learner in the school's history. It took me months just to learn to move my arm right. I just didn't get that it's possible to move one's arm only from the elbow down. I learned the rules to several games and I also learned to visualize the possiblities in a game. As far as execution goes, it's always been a real hit or miss (like my pun?).

Last time Tim and I played pool was about two months ago. We were out with the baby who was asleep. The idea of a quick game of pool sounded great, so we hopped in to the nearby university student building, put the baby down on the pool table next to us, and snuck in a quickie. Baby woke up just in time for the eightball shot.

When Tim and I first started dating, we played a lot of pool together and with friends. For some reason, around the bar pool table, there is often the "know-it-all" guy with the "all-the-chicks-with-cue-sticks-need-my-help" attitude. I hate that. Unwanted advice from a stranger, always a guy mind you, really ticks me off. This fact becomes obvious pretty quickly. One time I got in a huge argument over unsolicited suggestions with a guy who actually later became my friend. At least he knew what he was getting into from the get-go.

But no know-it-alls or annoying advice last night. Just my fabulous husband and I on a sugar high in a cloud of cigarette smoke, like it used to be back in the days. Good times!

No comments: