Thursday, December 01, 2005

work song

Today was my first day back at work after a sixteen-week long maternity leave. Time sure went fast! It was good to be back and to see all my favorite work buddies. I work for two different projects and have two different bosses, both all business almost all the time. One hugged me, the other only nodded his head in my direction: "Welcome back."

The bamboo plant on my desk nearly died without my care. I gave it some love by taking a pair of scissors to it. The haircut left it looking naked and pitiful. But hey, it's still alive.

It was a bit of a whirlwind once I got there - a lot of stuff piled up to do - supplies to order, surveys to count and collect data from, students to call to make sure that I have a full class starting Monday... Good thing I remembered how to use the work phone and computer.

One thing I had to do for the first time was express breastmilk at work. My workplace isn't the best for a private activity such as pumping. We have a lot of employees and a ton of open space, but hardly any secluded rooms that lock. Well, I grabbed the breast pump in the biggest and most conspicuous-looking case you can imagine and checked if I could use one of the computer labs. No one was there, so I went about my business. It turned out fine. But next week I will have to wash the breast pump parts - those giant, awkward tubes and siphon-like things that look like cold war NASA material - in the staff kitchen. Dealing with those in the staff lunch room, I imagine, will be akin to sorting menstrual pads and tampons on the employee kitchen counter. While I'm at it, I should really make the washing into a show, complete with hot pink rubber gloves, sparkly bottle brush, and a load of bubbles. Heck, maybe I should even wear an apron and one of those sterile plastic caps that look like they are made to be used in the shower.

While I yacked on the phone, pumped breastmilk, and shuffled papers, Jonah was at home giving the bottle a cold shoulder. Unlike on our practice days he wasn't so keen on drinking from a bottle today. He eventually ate, Tim said, but it took a lot of fussing and complaining. He'll have to get used to it. Tim and Jonah both will.

I don't go back again until Monday when the next course I teach starts. We'll see how next week goes.

1 comment:

John smith said...

Its good to have a nice day at work after having a leave like that.