Wednesday, December 21, 2005

something fishy

Well, the snow only lasted over night and just when I thought I might not have to go to work, it started raining and the snow melted. That's Portland for you.

Things are going well. I'm getting excited for Christmas. For the past few years it was just another holiday to me, but now with a baby, the holidays have regained some of the magic they'd had when I was little.

I've baked two types of cookies. I'd still like to squeeze in one or two types more. And then there is this special Christmas bread that the Czechs make every year. It's quite a bit like challah, actually. I've made it every year for the past few years, and this year I plan to make it again.

When attempting baking, I have to choose the best moment. Either when Jonah is taking a nap, which could be as short as ten minutes or as long as two hours, or I have to wait until Jonah is in the mood to entertain himself in his swing or on his mat for a while. But there are always a lot of interruptions, which can spell trouble in the kitchen. Today I set off the fire alarm, but to my surprise, Jonah slept right through it.

Aside from the cookies and sweet bread, there is Christmas dinner. For some reason, traditional Czech Christmas dinner consists of fish soup, breaded and fried fish (carp) and potato salad. One step up from plain bread and water. But this way the Czechs can claim to be humble people. The Germans have another version of this meal, I heard the other day. Instead of fish it's hot dogs. There is nothing that says Christ was born in Bethlehem better than a hot dog and a side of potato salad. Tim would fit right in to Frankfurterland. I know he dreams of living in a place where cured meats grow on trees. One time my grandparents brought Tim some Czech salami as a Christmas present. He was in seventh heaven. But come Saturday it will be fish for us. Fishy fishy fish.

No comments: