Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Teachers keep on teachin'

I'm back at work and my class is in full swing. I have a Mien student in addition to students from Malaysia, Vietnam, Korea, and the Philippines. So far the class is going great. Too bad the agency doesn't currently have anyone to fix all the broken computers and printers. Computer lessons are an integral part of the course I teach, and right now we're strapped for properly working equipment. Welcome to the non-profit world of donated goods!

I love teaching adult education classes. The students are so dedicated and polite! Nothing like my last high school teaching experience. I still shudder remembering the students talking back to me and throwing tantrums and whatever else they could find in the middle of class just to distract from real learning. My favorite was the skinhead-looking boy who defied my authority by teasing his friend, refusing to do work, and putting his feet on the table. I asked him why he had such a hard time following my rules. He was so pent up that he began to tremble and through his teeth hissed, "because I don't like you." That's the best that he could come with. I felt like bursting out laughing, but kept my composure. On the last day of my assignment at this high school, a fight had broken out among two girl gangs. As I was leaving the school, I heard what I thought to be a miniature lap dog barking somewhere in the parking lot. It turned out to be a teenage girl, alone, handcuffed, screaming her head off inside a cop car. Adult ed is so much more peaceful.

No comments: