Sunday, April 27, 2008

Jonah the Terrible

As I look back on my day today, I have this to say: "Lord, spare me from days like these!"

I can't even count the number of tantrums Jonah threw today. The triggers ranged from having his breakfast scone set in the "wrong" place to not wanting to go inside the house after playing outside. His tantrums, as you can imagine, tend to consist of screaming, crying, kicking, and hitting. Stating clearly that he will not get any attention from us until he stops crying and then ignoring him until he calms down seems to work the best, but it's not always how things go.

Most other parents I know say two-year-olds grow out of this phase, but let me tell you - it's no piece of cake. Jonah's fits make me feel angry, frustrated and helpless. I should be the one in control of the situation as a parent, but the reality is much different. I really don't believe in spanking although it's been suggested to me by a few people I know.

I think Tim and I just have to hold our own and ride out the storm. I just hope this phase ends soon, because - truth be told- the seas can get pretty rough these days.

3 comments:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

As parents we have no choice, but to ride out the storm as difficult as it seems.

Karin said...

From where I sit, it looks like you and Tim are doing an amazing job and that Jonah seems to be completely normal, except, of course, for his outrageous intelligence.

I'm sorry it's so hard right now.
Keep up!

Michael5000 said...

Tantrums... maybe I should try tantrums...