Thursday, April 24, 2008

two-tongue tot

For the first time today, Jonah asked me a perfectly formed question regarding vocabulary: "Mom, how do you say digger in Czech?"

I was blown away. I've known he gets the concept that there are two languages his mom speaks and that he is curious about language, but so far, he has asked for new vocabulary this way: "What does digger mean?" That meant he wanted to know the Czech equivalent for something, usually a concrete noun. But this whole new way of asking really surprised me.

The other interesting thing is that since I have increased the amount of Czech I speak to him, he has begun to incorporate Czech into his play. Yesterday he was playing with a little house with doors on it. He would open the door and look at the item behind the door, saying: "Dobry den" which means "Hello." I am hoping to keep on increasing the output so his Czech gets better quickly. It takes quite a bit of concentration for my little brain to not constantly revert to English when that is all that is around me 99% of the time. Baby steps.

No comments: