Wednesday, April 23, 2008

one-track mind


Now that I've gone public with our announcement about moving to Prague, I have given myself permission to obsess about the move and to let you in on the process. (Yippeee, you're probably saying to yourself through clenched teeth, eyeballs rolling like upside down pendulums.) Well, I do tend to latch on to an idea and then let it take over my brain, often until something else that's more exciting strikes my fancy. But this one is not just a passing fad. We're really doing it. Aaaahhh! (insert image of Edvard Munch's The Scream) now that the move is for real, thinking about it has become the focus of all my daydreaming and extracurricular projects.

Today, for instance, I spent some time researching Prague cafes with kids' corners. I am a frequent visitor of these with Jonah here in Portland. In fact, I take him to a coffee shop with a children's area full of toys and books, where one of my friends with or without a child awaits almost weekly. I didn't even know such cafes existed in the Czech Republic and somehow stumbled upon the first online, then googled the phenomenon and a whole list came up. Great.

Something else I've been thinking about has been signing Jonah up for preschool to give him a chance to socialize with other kids regularly and to learn Czech. Well, it turns out that the state-run schools have at least twice as many kids applying as there is room for since, like here, Baby Boomer's kids have been having kids lately. We may have to resort to one of the myriad of privately run schools, in which case we would be reaching pretty deep into our pocket. But considering we haven't yet spent a penny on daycare, we shouldn't complain.

To be continued.

No comments: