Tuesday, April 08, 2008

let's face it

My cheeky little monkey and I went to the children's museum yesterday. For those of you that aren't familiar with this establishment, it is important to note that there is nothing museum-like about the place. It's basically a big indoor playground, complete with a digging pit, wooden train set and track, a pretend doctor's office and grocery store - you get the drift.

This time we did our usual digging and ambulance driving, but we also ventured into a new-to-us section of the building where Jonah discovered a mock city bus to drive and... drum roll, please... face paint.

He went wild with the black face paint, giving himself black eyebrows -underneath his eyes and on his eyelids, mind you- and goatee. He then admired himself in the mirror, smiling and exclaiming: "I am my daddy." I instantly had a deja vu moment, reminded of how much time I spent in my parents' theater dressing rooms as a child, watching them put on makeup. To this day I love the smell of make up (though I practically wear none) and the focused expression of actors when they paint their faces.

I captured the experience with my little actor boy on camera in two parts below. When my dad sees it, I'm sure he will be convinced there is no turning back for Jonah. I can hear him now: "That boy is destined for the stage."



3 comments:

Sondra said...

What a sweet boy! How fun to Pretend.
sending love,
Sondra

Rose Lake said...

That is so cute! He really wanted to look like his Daddy!

Michael5000 said...

Maybe he's going to be a professional football player? They put black smudges below their eyes like that.

I always felt that there was something a little confusing about the Children's Museum, and you put your finger on it: "there is nothing museum-like about the place." Maybe they should call it the "Children's Rich Indoor Play Environment."