Thursday, July 31, 2008

bye, bye old workplace


Yesterday was my last day of work at the place where I've been employed for the bulk of the last ten years. I've had my share of lay-offs and goodbyes there, but I think this one may be final. Then again, I thought the others were too. But for some reason I just couldn't stay away. Well, perhaps this time the umbilical cord has been cut and I am moving on to other opportunities - hopefully bigger and better, though I did enjoy my last teaching job quite a bit.


The boss took us out to lunch today. Jonah joined us, posing for the top photo, noodle soul patch and all. The other picture shows all the staff in my program -- other than me. The man is the boss, the younger woman of the pair a fellow instructor and friend, and the other woman a job developer (i.e. someone who helps clients find employment).

It hasn't quite hit me that I am getting laid off. The reason? Program funding is ending. (Such is the world of grant-funded services). I do have a job lined up for Prague, which makes the parting easier. We timed our move for this, anticipating my lay-off. So, technically, things are moving right along. I wonder what my new job will be like. Hard to say. My guess is not as fulfilling, but it will definitely be a new challenge and I thrive on those.

No comments: