Monday, July 21, 2008

I can't believe it

I can't believe we're moving in just three weeks! I've been sorting stuff in the basement like mad, throwing away junk and organizing the rest. It feels good to group and label and to purge. Of course, the hardest stuff to go through are old journals and random bits of memories: a poster from a college play, love poems from high school, you know the deal... Whenever I run across such an emotion-laden relic, I get swept away into the past. Talk about time-consuming.

I'm proud to say that I've reduced my basement belongings to just a handful of boxes, which only cover two levels on one of those metal frame utility shelves they sell in the power tool sections. That's quite an accomplishment. The bulk of what I am saving are photographs, letters, old journals and notebooks filled with my sophomoric fiction and poetry attempts. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get rid of those.

In the process, I also discovered I have a couple of envelopes of drawings I did as a kid. Some even from the time I was three (Jonah's age). Can you believe it? That's all thanks to my grandmother, who has been the chief memorabilia keeper in our family. And I'm grateful for it.

2 comments:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

You know the little messages Jonah wrote on the yellow sticky pads while he was here, I have one up on my bulletin board, must be the grandmother in me.

Karin said...

Wow! Way to pare down, T! That's a monumental task--and you know I know what that's like. Good on ya'!