Friday, January 04, 2008

2008 with a bang


The New Year started with a bang for Mr. Jonah & me. But first, let me share how we celebrated the Eve. We went to our friend Karin's party early and stayed just past Jonah's bed time. Though it was mostly adults -except for Jonah and a two-month-old baby girl- our son was entertained. As usual, he basked in the presence of adults having a good time, chatting away and eating tasty hors d'oeuvres. I included a picture of us at the party on New Year's Eve.

Our New Year's day was a little rough with Jonah being extremely moody and dictatorial, playing if-one-parent-is-hard, let's-try-the-other-one nearly all day. But we did have a good portion of the day, playing outside and getting together with a friend of mine, Kyle, that Jonah likes in an uncle sort of way. Kyle is a high school teacher and a football & basketball coach. He always gives Jonah sports paraphernalia. In fact, he is the only friend who does. Someone has got to fulfill that niche, I guess. Jonah likes Kyle so much that I cease to exist when the two of them interact. Too bad Kyle is so busy, because I would love to take advantage of his Mary Poppins magic and evaporate while the two of them do their manly thing for a couple of hours sometime.

On the 2nd of January my friend Megan came over with her son, Jonah's friend Finn. The two of them are nine months apart in age, with Finn being the older one, but their age difference has never seemed so small before. The two boys played like never before, sharing toys, running around, tackling and hugging each other alternately, snacking together -feeding each other, actually- and imitating each other's made up words. This was such an incredible experience for me. Megan and I could actually talk uninterrupted for quite a while. Before that, the two boys mostly fought over toys and got stressed out around each other. And before that, they barely interacted. Parallel play, they call it at that age, I guess. I had never seen Jonah play with another kid like he did that way. That made me so happy! He is getting older, I suppose.

1 comment:

Aunt Jo Jo said...

Just think, next year at this time you will have alittle one that is almost a year old. We are anxious for news of your new bundle of joy. I think there are a couple Grandparents in MT that are even more anxious... Aunt Jo Jo