Monday, January 07, 2008

patience... what a virtue

These days when Jonah and I have a good day with tantrums kept to a minimum, I feel relieved and elated in the evenings. It truly feels like a miracle. But on the days teeming with emotional upheaval and toddler violence, I sometimes have a hard time liking the fellow. Not loving him, just liking him.

Today was one of those days. A tantrum about every little thing, violence towards the cats, and even me. All day the words of my friend Jenn, mother of two toddlers, have resounded in my head: "I've been there." That helps ease the pain a bit though it's hard not to feel completely at a loss and disheartened.

Hopefully Jonah will learn to cope with boundaries and his emotions in a gentler way soon. I'm trying to teach him in a trial and error sort of way, as best as I can with images of Supernanny, the cop, floating around my brain as I attempt various disciplining and distraction techniques. I too must remember to breathe and be patient.

2 comments:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

Tereza, It does get better. If you want to discuss this with someone who knows, call Jamie. All her boys were little pills, but they are now well behaved little gentleman.

Karin said...

You're such a great mom, Tereza. Keep up!