Monday, January 28, 2008

logo master

Ever since Jonah was about 20-months-old, I have been seeing evidence of how, from a young age, human brains are wired to recognize and read symbols. First it was the post office logo , then UPS, and now Shell.

We were looking at a magazine. One ad in the magazine took up a whole page and had a rather tasteful collage-like picture of cars and a farm which I thought would interest Jonah. Instead, he noticed the familiar red and yellow Shell gas symbol, saying: "gas station."

I can see how and why brand-marketing to kids is such a hot pursuit, not to mention a very dangerous and unethical one too.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Bottman said...

I bet JoJo wished her Grandkids would recognize the post office logo. I thing Jonah is really very observant.

John got a real giggle out of Jonah's quote today, about his Daddy should jump with his belly.