Tuesday, May 06, 2008

in my blood

For the first time in my life I had my bloodwork done as part of a complete physical check-up. What I found out is that my cholesterol is slightly high - the "good" cholesterol, HDL, too low and the LDL, or the "bad" cholesterol, elevated. Surprise, surprise. Not really. So, I, of course, celebrated the discovery with some delicious Belgian chocolate truffles and a glass of red wine.

I could have actually diagnosed myself. Remember the time I talked about the lifestyle changes I wanted to make? More greens and salads, less meat, more exercise? Well, that's exactly what my doctor told me to do.

I have been cutting down on animal products and sugar and increasing my veggie intake. I have been doing sit-ups and stretches every day. The daily speed walk and/or Pilates routine has gone by the way side for now, mainly because I stay up too late to get up early enough, but I plan on incorporating it into my morning routine again.

I hear green tea lowers cholesterol, as does garlic and ginger. (I also hear stress increases the levels of bad cholesterol.) Any other tips?

I have recently discovered an interesting website which analyzes the healthiest diets of the world and breaks them down into nutritional pyramids. As far as I can see, and based on other literature I have read on healthy eating habits, the website provides some great guidelines for healthful eating. What do you think?

And now on to more chocolate candy...

No comments: